angstzeit: (Default)
[personal profile] angstzeit
I sat in a gymnasium with lots of other kids watching a relatively small black and white TV when Apollo 11 LEM landed on the moon. What love and hope I had for this country came largely from that. It also set me up for a good deal of disappointment since then as we became complacent about space and adventure, preferring to wallow in our terrestrial problems.

That Cronkite was an inseparable part of that event was simply normal. Cronkite was the news guy. He'd been there as long as I was alive. You could feel how people respected him.

There will never be anything quite like these things again. The 20th century was a lesson in how the loss if innocence is permanent. But if you hole up then aging is watching the walls crumble around you. Change is permanent.

Date: 2009-07-20 08:53 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] hollycole1.livejournal.com
I remember being on a campsite in Devon and watching it in the crowded TV hut! I made scrapbooks which I still have.

Date: 2009-07-21 10:47 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] angstzeit.livejournal.com
It was a great time to be a kid.

Date: 2009-07-20 11:44 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] quasievil-bunny.livejournal.com
The memories of stuff like that.

March 2016

S M T W T F S
  12345
67 89101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 28th, 2026 01:58 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios