Unfortunately, I think people need to be controlled to some extent. Based on my experience with my fellow man, especially around where I live, most of them can't think let alone take care of themselves or someone else.
This is a catch-22 kind of question. There's no true yes/no answer. People need to be controlled to some extent, that's why we have laws. Sometimes "The People" need to be protected from "The People".
On the other hand, on the other end of the spectrum, no, people should not be controlled so rigidly that they have no personal freedom or any measure of autonomy.
In short, there needs to be a balance. I believe that there are very few absolutes that exist outside of hard science and mathmatics. This is especially true when it comes to human and animal behavior.
I hope you and Hex had a great Christmas and New Years! Thanks for the groovy Christmas card sent to your LJ MI crew!! :D
The human race cannot be trusted to govern itself rationally. I believe that all humans who wish to live in society with other humans must be controlled by some set of laws or an overriding common moral structure. There must be controls over the leaders as well as the hoi polloi, however. "The People" must be controlled, but within reason. The leaders must also be accountable to the law, and the law must be accountable to the people. It should be a dynamic system, capable of adapting to changes in the world, but fundamentally set.
There need to be laws and consequences for breaking them, but that's not the same thing as control in my mind. Control is, for example, the propaganda inherent in our system, starting in Kindergarten with the pledge of allegiance (crap, how do you spell that?) and including the many laws meant to control human behavior like sex and drug use.
It's a good question - one that would support a whole thesis.
no subject
Date: 2012-01-04 03:19 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2012-01-04 06:02 pm (UTC)On the other hand, on the other end of the spectrum, no, people should not be controlled so rigidly that they have no personal freedom or any measure of autonomy.
In short, there needs to be a balance. I believe that there are very few absolutes that exist outside of hard science and mathmatics. This is especially true when it comes to human and animal behavior.
I hope you and Hex had a great Christmas and New Years! Thanks for the groovy Christmas card sent to your LJ MI crew!! :D
no subject
Date: 2012-01-04 06:37 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2012-01-05 12:35 am (UTC)It's a good question - one that would support a whole thesis.